Saturday, February 16, 2013

Open to Interpretation (aka Easter Puke Nails)

The last day of the 31 Day Nail Art Challenge!  Granted, it took me something like four months to complete, with side jaunts and rest breaks along the way. Nevertheless...

Day 31 of the challenge as listed here says, "Re-create your favorite challenge." What does that mean? Redo exactly my favorite that I did, that someone else did, re-create my fave of my own but do it a little differently...?!?! Googling around, I discovered that some versions of the challenge list day 31 as, "Re-creat someone else's mani that you love." Ah...that's better.

This is the beautiful mani I picked, although I wanted to do it in different colors. I wanted to use Orly Buried Alive as my base. I was surprised by how much I loved this color on my fingers! Alas, that was the last thing that went well.  The stems I painted were too thick and my choice of flower/bud colors did not pop against the base color. I have no idea how the ones in my" inspired by" stand out so well on that navy blue. I ended up mixing each of mine with white, which looked just muted until they were up against that brown, whereupon they took on Easter egg hues. The horror continues! The dots were too big and too crowded, and then...THEN! I noticed my stark white stems had turned cream-colored. "OK," I said, "I can live with cream." As I continued to stare at my completed mani over the next 30 minutes, I watched that cream turn to a banana yellow. Not a bad color in and of itself, but the look as a whole was just, well, icky. Like someone vomited their Easter candy onto my fingernails. I left it on just long enough to prove its awfulness here:

Then I said, "The challenge is over. I'm going to do whatever I want on my nails, " and proceeded to spend more time than I could afford on a Friday morning doing these:

Pizza nails! Per my son's request, so even that wasn't really doing what I want. But it's better than Easter puke. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment