Monday, December 3, 2012

My Not-Favorite Mani

We have this plastic knife/cake cutter/pie server around the house that's listed on the website where we buy our wheat berries as "My Favorite Knife". Only, it's totally not what I thought it was going to be, doesn't do what I'd like it to do, and has been re-christened in our home as My Not-Favorite Knife. Today's mani reminds me of that knife.

Day 10: Gradient Nails. I've done several gradients since I started doing more than just slapping two coats of some loud Sinful Colors shade on my digits and calling it even. I LOVE gradients. But I told myself that everything between Turkey Day and Christmas was going to be Christmas or winter themed. Hence the snowflakes for Day 8. Hmm, I thought, a red and white gradient will look like something bled out on my fingertips. Green and white reminds me of spearmint. I hate spearmint. And red and green mixed, as any artist worth her salt knows, makes...brown. Not so appealing in a gradient mani. Ooh, I thought then, if I painted my nails white and did a red to green GLITTER gradient... That seemed to have a lot of potential.

But, as in the case of My Not-Favorite Knife, it's totally not what I thought it was going to be and didn't do what I'd like it to do.  I think the biggest problems were 1) I didn't realize just how sparse my red glitter polish was, and 2) I hadn't yet tried my green glitter polish, which turned out not having the same size particles as the red. The red has teeny squares. The green? It looks like someone had a pile of minute particles of glitter dust/shards/crapola left over and said, "Hey, let's dump this in bottles and sell it to some fool who thinks she's getting a deal!" Um, that fool would be me. I bought these at The Supply Source. For $1.50 apiece, I really shouldn't complain. But I'm going to, because that's how I roll. They smell weird. The formula of some is thicker than others. The particle size is not uniform! (Base color, btw, is Finger Paints Well-Cultured Pearl.)

So, after much dabbing, blending, layering, and sweating, this is what I ended up with:

sunlight

flash

blurry flash

I know. Not at ALL what imagined in my warped little head. My Not-Favorite Mani.


2 comments:

  1. Sorry it didn't work out the way you planned, but I love the idea--it looks like Christmas candies! :D

    ReplyDelete