Friday, January 11, 2013

Mission Accomplished: Pallet Table and Polish Rack


So, I finally got my pallet table put together. Three pallets, each 34" x  23", set end-to-end on their long sides, screwed down onto a piece of MDF we had up by the workshop and mounted on 6 Vika Adils legs from IKEA. We already had enough wood screws lying around, but I did have to spring for sanding pads for the sander and a tube of clear caulk for the nail indentations and cracks between boards on the pallets. So, the total was actually about $45. I rubbed homemade beeswax/olive oil polish into the wood to help protect it from spills and stains.


This table was perfect inside my head, industrial chic/upcycled goodness with plenty of under-the-table-top storage (something every mom of four fantasizes about!). In reality, the table wobbles with every touch, and the deep storage area means that everyone's legs are touching the underside of the table when they scoot their chairs in. I have my old table taken apart but not stored in the workshop yet, because I can't decide whether or not to keep this one. All the kids LOVE it (anything new, shiny or not!) and spousal unit doesn't really care either way. I may give in to the kids and keep it, inconveniences and all, or I may end up making this our picnic table.


I also made myself a new polish rack! Goodwill had these nifty little baskets (they look like some I've seen at Walmart, but SCLEOA donated these) for 50¢ apiece, so I bought twenty of them! I hung most of them from screws mounted on this pallet, and my sweet hubby tethered the pallet to a hook on the wall as an extra precaution, with the rack resting on my desk surface. I now have 174 polishes and am trying very hard to convince myself that it's enough. I still see nail art on the web and think, "I could do that, but I don't have seafoam creme, only shimmer..." or stuff like that. But I don't ever want to own more polishes than I can fit here, and I'm almost out of room already! I have a little leeway, since a couple of the baskets contain basics (cotton balls, aluminum foil, etc.) or embellishments like dried flowers, stickers, and jewels. I could move those and devote the rack to polishes only...

No comments:

Post a Comment