Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wonka Nails!

Freehand nail art is generally above my pay grade, and there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell that anything I did was going to actually look like what it's supposed to represent. I was going to go really simple for Day 23: Inspired by a Movie. One of my favorite movies is Notting Hill, and I was going to use my delicious L'Oreal Notting Hill Blues and maybe just stamp some heart pattern over it.

But then I got to thinking how much my kids love Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, and how much more they'd enjoy seeing me represent it on my little canvases than they would some grown-ups' movie they don't know anything about. So, I busted my butt, painting non-stop for 1.5 hours to achieve this very amateur but very under-15-crowd-pleasing skittle mani:

left hand

right hand

Thumbs: an Oompa Loompa (w/ some serious glare!), and chubby Augustus Gloop, which may be my favorite for no better reason than I love how the hair and cheeks turned out!

 Left index and middle: Violet Beauregarde and a "bad egg" on the scale for Veruca Salt.

Left ring and pinky: Mike Teavee on Wonka Vision and Charlie Bucket burping his way down in the Bubble Room; I love that the holo showed up in both of these!

Right index and middle: you can see the lapels on Mr. Wonka's jacket, but the sun completely washed out his big lavender bowtie, and of course there's the edible teacup, and the chocolate waterfall. In retrospect, I should have texturized the grass, maybe with a reverse cling wrap and two shades of green?

Right ring and pinky: a sponged rainbow and BM-306 stamped image for all that CANDY, and the dorkiest representation ever of a famous golden ticket. I was trying to use a teeny strip from a catalog for words, and lined it up wrong so that all you get here is the measurement for a dadgum curtain!

These are nothing like all the amazing, lifelike portraits from so many nail artists out there, but I worked really hard and am pretty excited about these!

4 comments:

  1. Love it! Can you do a Violet costume manicure tutorial?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I don't think I'd be at all qualified to do a tutorial, though. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you sure, you won't know until you try

    ReplyDelete
  4. But, can you try to do the Violet beauregarde costume manicure?

    ReplyDelete