Thursday, January 31, 2013

Wingfeather mani

Day 24 was "Inspired by a Book". I based my manicure on Andrew Peterson's On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness, book one of the Wingfeather Saga. My oldest's best friend introduced us to this series of books, and we all have been enjoying them immensely! Andrew Peterson is a brilliant writer, in my humble mommy opinion. His books are beautifully written kids' fantasy novels that are just as entertaining for adults. They are super-clean without being cheesy, full of adventure and good v. evil clashes as well as ordinary human interaction made intriguing by his elegant style. Think I like 'em just a little?

Here is a summary of the story, and here is my nail art representation of it:

Index: Janner, the main main character, is a writer and Throne Warden responsible for the safety of his brother. I stamped BM's "love" image onto cream for this. Middle is Leeli, Janner's sister, blue for the sadness of being crippled by the enemy, vine's with lavender flowers for her crutch, and a musical note for her role as Song Maiden. Ring: Janner's brother Tink (Kalmar) is the young High King of Anniera and an artist, so here is a drawing of a tree with a calligraphy-style pen. My pinky is for Peet the Sockman, a homemade peach/nude polish topped with white and red stripes for the sock and a black V to represent the claws at the end of his arms. My thumb is symbolic of the powerful sea dragons.

And this hand: Cream with just the bottom portion of the "love" image for Oskar Reteep and his love of books/knowledge on my pinky. Ring: green and a muddy gold for the Fangs of Dang. Teal jelly and turquoise glitter sandwich stamped with waves for Janner's grandfather Podo, a salty old sailor. Index: royal blue with a (faint) crown for Janner's mother Nia, queen of the lost kingdom of Anniera. And lastly, cream with big pawprints for Leeli's pet and protector, Nugget.

 The sea dragon nail is my favorite. I love this Sinful Colors Kissy, an amazing teal loaded with turquoise glass flecks, topped with Color Club Worth the Risque, although the holo of this stamped image doesn't photograph well.

My least favorite is the "Nia nail". Kleancolor metallics are beautiful, but bleed/seep through any image stamped on them! The crown was originally gold, and I was so proud to get it centered well, but as soon as I topcoated, the crown faded. It's not a total loss, as I think the faded crown could represent the fact that Nia is queen of a country that no longer exists.

No comments:

Post a Comment